Need some help to shed those extra pounds? If you are after 40 try some of these weight loss ideas.
You Are What You Eat
- Use smaller plates when you eat. That means more plates to load the dishwasher.
- When your sweet tooth calls for dessert, reach for fruits instead.
- Eat like a queen during breakfast. Eat like a princess at lunch. Then eat like a pauper at dinner. You have more chances to burn those calories during the day.
- Skipping breakfast will only make you feel more hungry and you’ll end up eating more later.
- Stop the diet pop. Drink tea instead. Even coffee is now being appreciated as beneficial (as long as you don’t drink more than 4 cups per day).
- Go wheat. Eat brown rice instead of white. Wheat bread instead of white. Wheat flour instead of white. That extra fiber may call for a regular bathroom schedule.
- Instead of buying baked goods, make it yourself. Then you could control the ingredients you put in that cake or pie (less flour, sugar substitute, less salt, margarine instead of butter, etc.
- Juice your fruits and vegetables. You will feel fuller without the extra calories plus you get lots of vitamin C and antioxidants. Fitness guru Jack LaLanne, who made his juicer a household name, lived up to age 96.
- Instead of bringing brownies to a party, provide the fruit platter. You have no excuse for eating junk food at parties.
- Wear tight if not snug pants when you go out. A girdle is an option. This might remind you not to eat too much lest you risk a wardrobe malfunction.
- When posing for the camera at your next party, turn sideways like models and beauty queens do. It is said that you gain 10 lbs on camera.
- Eat before you go to the party. This may be counterproductive but you go to the party to sample the fare and enjoy the company of your beautiful friends.
- Remember that friend who stays standing when she eats because she said it would make the food go down faster instead of settling in her stomach? She is partly correct. Food stays in the stomach for at least three hours regardless of your body position. But if you stay standing instead of sitting, then you won’t be lingering at the buffet table. Mingle instead. Participate in games, karaoke singing or help out in the kitchen.
Increase Your Activity
- Put an extra exercise in your day. Park far away from the mall entrance. (Stay safe and alert to your surroundings, of course). Take the stairs instead of the elevator, esp. if you have claustrophobia and it’s just two floors up.
- Be ready for an extra workout. Keep an extra pair of sneakers under your work desk or in your car.
- Get off that couch. During TV commercials, do a three-minute household chore such as switching the laundry from washer to dryer.
- Surfing the Internet or messaging a friend online? Why don’t you just pick up the phone or visit that nearby friend? Both of you could go to a Zumba class instead.
- Still snowing outside? Go sled riding or shovel the driveway with your kids. They need to take a break from their Wii and Play Station anyway.
- Don’t slouch, young lady. Align your ears with your shoulders, your shoulders to your hips. Having a good posture makes you look 10 pounds lighter.
- When eating out, be the first in your group to order. In this way, you could order a healthy meal and you won’t get influenced by other people’s choices.
- Bring extra packets of your sugar substitute or sweetener so you won’t get stuck with just plain lemon water versus diet pop or sweetened iced tea.
Miscellaneous Weight Loss Tips
- Don’t forget to schedule your doctor’s appointment, dental appointment, eye exam, mammogram and pap smear test. Unexplained weight gain or weight loss could be a sign of underlying illness.
- No more midnight snacks. Go to sleep. Do you know that lack of sleep impairs the production of leptin and increases the ghrelin? Leptin signals your brain that you’re full after eating and ghrelin tells your brain “I want some more because I didn’t get enough sleep.”
- Step on the scales often. Weighing regularly could easily catch those sneaky 5 lbs you’ve gained over the weekend. It may be just water retention (bloating…It’s that time of the month) but you have to skip that cheesecake after all.
- Wear black all the time. This gives you a perfect silhouette.
- Since women can’t grow a beard like men to make their faces thin, grow your hair long.
- Don’t let your children do all the chores. You need to do some yourself just for the exercise. When faced with the prospect of hard labor (such as raking the leaves), think of it as an opportunity to exercise.
- Reward yourself with non-food items. Shopping is more fun especially if you’re finally fitting into clothes two sizes smaller!
- Engage in non-food activity with your family and friends. Instead of eating out, go bowling. Instead of mindlessly munching popcorn in the movie house, pack some sugar free gum. You could eat somewhere else before or after showtime.
- Take your dog for a walk. Play with your cats. Having a pet would motivate you to exercise plus their unconditional love lowers your blood pressure.
- Brown bag a healthy lunch. If your workplace offers free meals, don’t be tempted to eat it just because it’s free.
Wear a tan. It makes you look thinner but it may also make you look older. On second thought, skip the tanning bed and wear a sun block when you go outside. When you are healthy, a perfect ideal weight doesn’t matter as much as overall well-being.